CDFA Summer School is a week long series of courses presented by the CDFA Training Institute. CDFA Summer School will offer five different training courses at the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel, in Pittsburgh, PA. Learn from our expert practitioners and experience CDFA's most interactive educational event of the year live in Pittsburgh.
All courses at CDFA Summer School qualify for the CDFA Training Institute's Development Finance Certified Professional (DFCP) Program. Participants may register for one, two, or three courses during this week-long event. Complete three courses, and you will have fulfilled half of the requirements for the DFCP Program. Join us in Pittsburgh, and start down the road to personal and professional advancement today.
The schedule for CDFA Summer School is outlined below. Click on the course name to learn more about the topic and agenda:
CDFA Summer School: Course Schedule
- Complete half of the course requirements for the DFCP Program
- Learn about essential development finance tools and techniques
- Meet industry peers from across the country
- Discover new financing programs to create in your community
- Build your professional skills in financing economic development
- Network with the top minds in development finance
- Fundamentals of Economic Development Finance: Understanding the basics of bonds, tax increment finance, tax credits, revolving loan funds, federal programs, and best practices of development finance agencies
- Intro Bond Finance Course: Provides an in-depth look at the various types of bonds, best practices for successful issuances, and examines the bond transaction from start to finish
- Intro Revolving Loan Fund Course: Offers an in-depth look at RLF program development, implementation and management. This course will demonstrate how a RLF program can complement your economic development strategy, encourage investment and assist traditionally underserved businesses.
- Intro Tax Increment Finance Course: Offers an in-depth look at the guiding principles and appropriate application of TIF. This course brings TIF deal-making and best practices into focus through a two-day program targeting the entire TIF community including economic developers, public agency representatives, bond issuers, legal professionals, developers, financial advisors, and other stakeholders.
- Intro Tax Credit Finance Course: Examines the application of tax credit programs in greater economic development finance efforts. This course will discuss the practical application of tax credit programs including new markets, low income housing, historic preservation, and state-specific programs.
Who Should Attend?
- Bond Issuers
- Economic Development Professionals
- Community Development Professionals
- P3 Practitioners
- Broker/Dealers and Underwriters
- Elected Officials
- Government and Nonprofit Finance Officers
- Financial Advisors
- Policy Makers
CDFA Bond Finance Course Advisor
Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP
A twelve year veteran to the Public Finance and Economic Development arena Brian specializes in general obligation and revenue based project and public finance. Mr. Cooper financial matters that range from credit strategy, debt issuance and... (More)
Council of Development Finance Agencies
President and CEO
Toby Rittner is the President & CEO of Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), a national association dedicated to the advancement of development finance concerns and interests. CDFA is comprised of the nation’s leading and most... (More)
Council of Development Finance Agencies
As Vice President of Development Finance with CDFA, Mr. Moses works within all facets of CDFA. His expertise enhances the work in Research and Technical Assistance, including working on CDFA Publications; Government Affairs including participating... (More)
Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP
As Director of Research & Technical Assistance with the Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), Mr. Allen leads the day-to-day operations of the Research & Technical Assistance team. He also assists in the management of several contracts and... (More)
Monday, August 3, 2020
|Mon 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Fundamentals of Economic Development Finance Course
The fundamentals course provides the foundation for all of CDFA’s educational offerings. The course helps attendees understand the basics of bonds, tax increment finance, tax credits, revolving loan funds, federal programs, and best practices of development finance agencies. This course provides the insight and practical information needed to critically understand how economic development is financed and the tools, strategies and techniques used to build strong communities.
Tuesday, August 4, 2020
|Tue 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Intro Bond Finance Course - Day One
The Intro Bond Finance Course provides an in-depth look at the various types of bonds and when to use them. The course also teaches best practices for successful issuances, and examines the bond transaction from start to finish. This course is essential for public leaders, economic development professionals, financial experts and anyone working to address local economic challenges.
Intro Brownfields Finance Course - Day One
The Intro Brownfields Finance Course is the industry’s only comprehensive training curriculum that helps economic developers, policy makers and real estate professionals understand and master the financing strategies for the lifecycle of a brownfield property. During this course, attendees will walk through the entire brownfields redevelopment process from understanding the basics of brownfields and legal and regulatory challenges to unearthing the myriad financing tools available to both clean-up and build-up these contaminated or polluted sites.
Wednesday, August 5, 2020
|Wed 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Intro Bond Finance Course - Day Two
At the start of Day 2, this course reviews some important terms and sets the stage for the remaining sessions focused on the more technical aspects of bond financing, including the rules and structuring the bond issue.
Thursday, August 6, 2020
|Thu 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Intro Public-Private Partnership (P3) Finance Course - Day One
The Intro Public-Private Partnership (P3) Finance Course examines this emerging development finance model with a focus on how development finance agencies can adopt P3 principles to address a variety of projects. This course covers basic P3 concepts, key players involved in transactions, asset valuation, contract negotiation, risk assessment, revenue stream development, and feasibility analysis. In addition, several P3 projects from across the country will be presented, and P3 experts will analyze the successful elements in each deal.
Intro Tax Increment Finance Course - Day One
The Intro Tax Increment Finance Course offers an in-depth look at the guiding principles and appropriate application of TIF. This course brings TIF deal-making and best practices into focus through a two-day program targeting the entire TIF community including economic developers, public agency representatives, bond issuers, legal professionals, developers, financial advisors, and other stakeholders.
Friday, August 7, 2020
|Fri 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM
Intro Tax Increment Finance Course - Day Two
At the start of Day 2, this course reviews some important terms and sets the stage for the remaining sessions focused on the more technical aspects of TIF including underwriting and deal-making, bond financing and combining and leveraging TIF with other tools.
CDFA Summer School will be held at the Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel which is located in downtown Pittsburgh's vibrant cultural district.
Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
107 6th Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
>>>Reserve your room today
CDFA has arranged a significantly reduced room rate of $179.00 (plus tax) per night for a standard room (single or double occupancy). A select number of hotel rooms are available from August 6-11, 2018 at the reduced rate if reservations are made before July 13, 2018. This rate is not guaranteed if reservations are made after the cut-off date or if the hotel is sold-out. Please reserve your room early. For individual reservations call 412-562-1200 and reference CDFA Summer School.
CDFA Summer School is a week long series of courses presented by the CDFA Training Institute. Participants may register for one, two, or three courses during CDFA Summer School.
Scholarships are available to attend this event. Learn more about the CDFA Scholarship Program
, and submit your application today.
Register before July 13, 2018 for Early-Bird Rates.
When you register for three courses during CDFA Summer School, you will receive a $200 discount off the total registration fee.
Click the Register button to view the total fees and discounts available for CDFA Summer School.