Incentive use has grown dramatically and become a more prominent – and challenging – part of economic development work. Economic development incentives can help locations attract, retain and develop business and industry, but they are also used to finance neighborhood revitalization, redevelop brownfields, provide workforce training and accomplish other important community objectives.
The Intro Incentives Course will examine the role of economic development incentives in conjunction with other development finance programs and explore how incentives can be used effectively and responsibly.
This course will consider how incentives are being used in today’s economic environment and outline steps that are being taken to reduce risk and achieve better outcomes. In particular, this course will address the characteristics of well-designed incentive programs and processes to ensure meaningful impact, value, and accountability.
This course qualifies for the CDFA Training Institute's Development Finance Certified Professional (DFCP) Program. Start down the road to personal and professional advancement today.
- Discover how incentives programs operate at the state, local, and regional level
- Consider characteristics of well-designed incentive programs that work for both the business and the community to drive long-term, mutually beneficial economic development projects
- Understand how to refine incentive strategies and reduce risk
- Learn about approaches to compliance monitoring and program evaluation
- Share strategies for meaningful reporting and communication on incentive use
- Hear about the new rules for tax abatement disclosures
- Discuss innovative incentive approaches being employed by communities across the country
- Incentives in the context of the development finance toolbox
- Incentive program design elements
- Due diligence and impact analysis
- Performance agreements and compliance
- Elements of program evaluation
- Improving transparency, reporting and communication
- Trends in incentive use
Who Should Attend?
- Bond issuers
- Economic development professionals
- Community development professionals
- Elected officials
- Government and nonprofit finance officers
- Corporate trustees
- Legal counsel
- Commercial bankers
- Financial advisors
- Policy makers
The Intro Incentives Course is not currently on the schedule. Please check back for updates.