The Fundamentals of Economic Development Finance Course is the foundation for all of CDFA’s educational offerings. This course helps attendees understand the variety of development finance tools available, from bonds, tax credits and TIF, to federal financing programs, RLFs, and access to capital lending resources.
The Fundamentals Course is based on CDFA's Practitioner's Guide to Economic Development Finance, the only comprehensive reference guide dedicated to building and utilizing the development finance toolbox. The Practitioner’s Guide provides the insight and practical information needed to critically understand how economic development is financed and the tools, strategies and techniques used to build strong communities.
All courses at CDFA Virtual Summer School qualify for the CDFA Training Institute's Development Finance Certified Professional (DFCP) Program. Participants may register for one, two, three, or four courses during this two-week-long event. Complete three courses, and you will have fulfilled half of the requirements for the DFCP Program. Join us online, and start down the road to personal and professional advancement today.
The schedule for CDFA Virtual Summer School is outlined below. Click on the course name to learn more about the topic and agenda:
CDFA Virtual Summer School: Week 1 Course Schedule
CDFA Virtual Summer School: Week 2 Course Schedule
- Learn the fundamentals of development finance
- Interact with leading development finance professionals from around the country
- Discuss best practices and case studies that can be implemented in your community
- Gain a greater understanding of the diversity of development finance tools
- Establish a foundation for attending future in-depth financing courses
- Receive a copy of the Practitioner's Guide to Economic Development Finance
- Understanding development finance
- The financing spectrum
- Building the development finance toolbox
- Bedrock tools: bonds and the basics of public finance
- Targeted tools: tax increment and special district financing
- Investment tools: tax credits, EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program
- Access to capital lending tools: revolving loan and mezzanine funds, loan guarantee, innovation finance and microenterprise programs
- Support tools: federal, state, incentive and grants programs
- Implementing the toolbox approach
- Trends in development finance
- Development finance challenges and policy considerations
Who Should Attend?
- Bond Issuers
- Economic Development Professionals
- Community Development Professionals
- Broker/Dealers and Underwriters
- Elected Officials
- Government and Nonprofit Finance Officers
- Financial Advisors
- Policy Makers
Council of Development Finance Agencies
President & CEO
Toby Rittner is the President & CEO of Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), a national association dedicated to the advancement of development finance concerns and interests. CDFA is comprised of the nation’s leading and most... (More)
This course will be offered at CDFA Virtual Summer School, a 2- week long series of courses presented by the CDFA Training Institute. Participants may register for one, two, three, or four courses during CDFA Virtual Summer School.
Scholarships are available to attend this event. Learn more about the CDFA Scholarship Program
and submit your application today.
When you register for four courses during CDFA Summer School, you will receive a $100 discount off the total registration fee.
Click the Register button to view the total fees and discounts available for CDFA Virtual Summer School.
CDFA Member: $300